Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My F1: an update for all those curious blog friends

She arrived early (just a few days shy of the due date) on Thursday (1:30 in the am) after much ado about whether or not my water had broke. Silly me, I thought that would be something that would be pretty obvious, but it wasn't. By the time I got to labor and delivery (on Wednesday), I was informed that I had been in early labor for at least a day. Again, thought that would have been a little more obvious. As it turns out I am not that out of tune with my body, my water didn't really break, it just had a very slow leak and I have a fairly high threshold for pain.

Due to the slow leak, labor was induced and 13 hours later, I heard the words, "It's a girl." This coincided with extreme relief from pain and was promptly followed by the arrival of a slippery little person on top of my chest. My husband was great during the entire process and despite all the claims that there was no way he was looking "down there," curiosity got the best of him and he actually witnessed the birth. He declined to cut the cord though. I did not look. I figured, like with anything else that is painful, watching would only make it worse, so I kept my eyes shut and tried to focus.

We arrived home on Saturday and we've been adjusting to the new life ever since. So far, things are going well. The baby is still alive and intact and we haven't made any terribly huge blunders yet.


17 comments:

chall said...

WOHO! How lovely to hear! Happy times!

I hope you three get awesome first time together and that it stays "nothing wrong" :)

I have to admit though, I laughed a lot reading "I have a high threashold for pain" ...ehh.. yeah, sounds like it! Maybe you were focusing on the plasmids?!

Unknown said...

OH!! Congratulations!!

post-doc said...

Congratulations!

ScientistMother said...

congratulations! wow, a high threshold for pain is right. I'm glad that everything is going well and that you haven't broken her yet. Hope all the nursing and stuff is going well. If you feel the need for advice, bitching or whatever we're here.

And remember, she may not sleep and you may want to throw her out the window because of that, or because you've just changed her diaper for the 4th time in 10minutes, or she's projectile peed on you (girls can projectile pee). It is TOTALLY NORMAL to want to throw her out the window. just don't actually throw her out the window :)))

enjoy your first time togetherness!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! That sounds awesome...have fun with the little one!! :)

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

\o/

EcoGeoFemme said...

Congratulations! And good work!

quietandsmalladventures said...

congratulations!!!!! my birthday wish for her (you really!) is that she sleeps thru the night soon :)

Anonymous said...

congrats! remember that it gets easier.

soil mama said...

Congrats!
and as SM said, it is totally normal to want to throw her out the window. I ended up having many cursing sessions aimed toward my sweet little baby who wouldn't stop crying, sleep or nurse.
we used the "happiest baby on the block" method along with miracle blankets and it really helped. I really hope your baby isn't colicky, but if she is, feel free to ask for help or advice. there are some really weird tricks that work quite well.
congrats again!

ScienceGirl said...

Congratulations! So glad to hear all went well!

Those little creatures are more hardy than we give them credit for; as Hubby says, "after seeing what she had to go through, I am no longer afraid of holding her because of her supposedly frail neck" (he wasn't planning to watch either, but was too fascinated to turn away ;)

My little one is 7 weeks old now, and just about every week she is like a whole new baby, so whatever is hardest now may very well be over next week. You will do great, and she will reward you with plentiful smiles soon!

tideliar said...

Hell Yeah! WEll done mom (& dad), and welcome to babyXX!!!!

LabMom said...

Congrats Mama!

Dimitris said...

Congratulations! I wish you the best!

Isha said...

Congratulations!! :)

microbiologist xx said...

Thanks everyone. So far, things are going well. No burning desire to toss the baby out of a window...yet. However, that might change next week when my husband goes back to work. Mostly, I am just tired, but I am sure anyone could have guessed that.

Candid Engineer said...

Yay! Congrats to you and your husband. I like your account of the proceedings. :)