Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Yep, it's been that kind of day.

I started the day off well enough. I woke up on time, I made myself some coffee (bonus) so that I wouldn't need to stop on the way. I get in the car and proceed to work, quite proud of the $1.50 I am saving. However, about 30 seconds later, the universe decided that today, I would provide it with comic relief or something.
Here is a break down of the events - and I'm just hitting the easy-to blog about items. Just imagine how my experiments went today.

1. Sweet ass (not the good kind).
While drinking my coffee on the way to work I realize that my coffee tastes awful. WTF? I ask myself. After another sip, I come to the conclusion that the giant container of half and half I just purchased isn't plain, it's french vanilla. GROSS. My coffee tastes like sweet ass!

2. My boob is really wet and warm.
I decide that my need for caffeine far exceeds the taste of the coffee so I continue to drink it. I'm having trouble drinking from the travel mug and decide there must be something wrong with the spout (or whatever that slide-open thingie is called). Oh well, slow coffee is better than no coffee. Right? Several labor-intensive sips later I notice that my left boob is feeling quite wet and warm. OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD. The coffee is leaking from under the lid and is now all down the front of my shirt and has apparently, soaked through my bra.
I consider going home to change, but cultures are waiting for me and my shirt is navy, so I ignore the signs of the shitty day to come and proceed to the lab.

3. Somewhere between 2X and 3X.
I arrive at my bench to find all the media that I prepared yesterday. The best thing I can say about the media is that it is sterile. Unfortunately, it also looks like it sat in the damn autoclave all night as the final volume is less than half of the starting volume.
I'm starting to feel a tantrum coming on, but I can find no one to take my rage irrationally out on at this point (lucky bastards) so I take a few trillion deep breaths and continue on with my day.

4. The sink stops working.

5. Fucking crystal violet!
I'm nearing the end of an adherence assay and start making the crystal violet solution. This go well until I try to filter the solution. That's when this happened:















Then I remembered that I was wearing relatively new shoes.















Five minutes into cleaning the mess.














Drink please.

9 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

Boo! That does sound like a shitty day! I hope you weren't one of the many N Americans who also had to contend with the winter storm of doom, too.

Tomorrow can only be better?

Anonymous said...

Ick - time to go home.

chall said...

Reminds me about the joke about Crystal Violet (to me thereis only one.... duh)

Q: How do you get crystal violet off your clothes?
A: Scissors

Sorry about the shoes. (And the French Vanilla... I hate it. Tastes awful! And the rest of the day. Tomorrow will be better, right?! Drinks.)

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Sorry dude :(

Hermitage said...

Booze. Lots and lots of booze. With little umbrellas and cherries and shit.

Permanent Head Damage (PhD) said...

Maybe it's better to have one day full of annoying troubles than a whole week scattered with misfortune? Sounds like you've met your quota for the month! If the shoes are leather, acetone works pretty well to remove CV (that's what I use when I teach micro lab). Hope you're having a better week!

http://acceptedwithrevisions.blogspot.com/

quietandsmalladventures said...

what hermitage said.

Jade said...

The crystal violet clean up pic with it all smeared on the floor is classic. I laughed- but sorry about the shoes.

Spilling coffee on your clothes at work (before work) royally fucking sucks. Been there, done that.

Anonymous said...

I did something similiar with a bottle of Tween. Floor was realy clean when I was done.