Friday, January 14, 2011

I can't say I'm too surprised.

I am not big on making resolutions. That's not to say that I don't make any, but they are usually the same and I tend to make them multiple times of year. Two of my on-going work resolutions are: (1) stay up to date on freezer stocks and (2) keep the lab notebook current.

I fail miserably at both of these on a regular bases because I hate making freezer stocks and am always putting off my lab notebook. In 2011, I've once again decided to make good on these resolutions. I've given myself the pep talk, the motivational speech, gone through the reasons why this is beneficial and how it would actually save me time in the long run, etc. If I was a wrestler or boxer, all that would remain was some screaming and hitting myself about the chest.

I wish I could report that this was my year, but sadly it doesn't appear so. I've really tried to make freezer stocks. I've grown some strains (3 or 4 times), but the cultures just end up sitting on my bench slowly dying until I decide to put them out of their misery and send them to the autoclave. This is the typical bottleneck in freezer stock-making.

The lab notebook is actually going a bit better. While I am not quite current, I am only @ 1.5 days behind. Not too shabby considering I've been as far behind as 6 months.

I'm not giving up. I am officially recommitting myself to the great freezer stock-making extravaganza of 2011. Let's hope I stay on the wagon.

2 comments:

chall said...

haha,keeing labbook current? to me that means, putting the "short notes" and other lose paper in their place in the book with some tape until I have time to fill it all in....

(yes, leaving my post doc meant a lot of gluing, rewriting and making the books really pretty.)

EcoGeoFemme said...

Tomorrow is a new day!