Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Write my ass off...at least that is the goal.

At the end of 2008 I am saying so long to graduate school lab, but before I go, I need to bust out two manuscripts. I procrastinate like no other, so I need some extra special motivation. I am hoping that participating in InaDWriMo will provide said motivation.

Wtf is InaDWriMo you ask? It is International acaDemic Writing Month. It is hosted over at Dr. Brazen Hussy's blog. If you want to sign up or get more info. you should check out her post.

The month-long science write-a-thon started on Nov. 1. Yeah, Nov. 1 was a Saturday and starting a month-long venture on a Saturday just seems inherently evil. Really, starting a long project on the weekend is probably a bad idea, so Sunday was out too. I am not sure what happened on Monday, but it had something to do with the status bar and finding it. My Tuesday evening boot camp class was canceled, so I decided to officially start participating tonight while half watching the election coverage.
I placed the handy little progress bar on the right hand side of the blog. Feel free to kick me in the ass if it doesn't move. Basically, I am hoping that by publicly stating my goals, the embarrassment of not reaching them will drive me to get some writing done.

My goals are simple. Write two manuscripts, including abstract, introduction, materials and methods, results, discussion and figure legends. I want to accomplish as much as possible so that when I move to post-doc lab I can focus on learning scary biochemistry.

2 comments:

PhizzleDizzle said...

1/12 and we are 1/4 way through the month...chop chop! ;)

microbiologist xx said...

Thanks for the kick in the ass. I am now 40% complete. That's right, I said 40%. :)